Tuesday, April 1, 2008

APRIL - GOOD NEWS!

Technically the good news I received in March but I have decided to attribute it to April.

As you may recall from my February post (it's only two posts below this one!), I submitted a micro-fiction tale. Well, last night I checked my mail - and it has been accepted!! My first accepted fiction piece!

It's a really weird feeling - shock and awe could possibly be applicable words. It will be available on-line from tomorrow and for the next two months - wow, it's really exciting. Okay, I wish it was The Lucky Diamond that had been accepted (co-incidentally, I got another rejection for it yesterday, which Toffee tried to eat before I could read it) but it's still a fantastic feeling. For those of you who have experienced it - isn't it amazing?? For those that haven't - keep going, persevere, it's worth it!!!

Of course, now I'm wondering why I haven't submitted loads of other stuff this year - all I have to show for the three months of 2008 is my (successful *sigh in happiness * ) micro-fiction and a short story that I actually wrote last year.

Still, it's really motivating getting accepted. I have to write lots more shorts and build up that writing CV!

PS This is NOT an April Fool Day's trick - I will post the link to my story either tomorrow evening or Thursday morning!

3 comments:

Inkpot said...

Haha April Fools! - NOT. That is fantastic news Valpot, congratulations. I don't know the sweet taste of literary publication (yet) but I know when I got picked from my audition it was such a confidence boost. It was like 'yeah, someone else likes what I'm doing!' You have two different publications who have accepted you now, so it shows that YOU CAN DO THIS. I hope you take this and start producing lots of articles and short stories because they WILL get published. :)

Valpot said...

Thanks, Inkpot - you're a star!

However, you have been published - what about Voices of Dundalk? Also didn't you have a story in an Australian e-zine years ago? And the winning of many competitions also - I guess that's the same feeling???

Inkpot said...

Winning competitions is great but I imagine is a different (perhaps better? :) ) feeling from being accepted for publication. It is great to win a competition and be selected as first from all the entrants, but to be accepted for publication it shows that the editor liked your work, felt it was appropriate for the publication, fit in with their ethos and overall that it was worth taking a risk on your work. This in turn means you have a higher chance of that editor taking another chance on your work so it could lead to further publication. And yes, I have an article in Voices of Dundalk but that is non fiction and my article in the NEW ZEALAND fanzine was also non fiction